# Paper articles
The Procurement system allows customers to search for, and eventually order, items based on structured data. This also allows deeper integration with other platforms - for example, Keyline MIS uses the attributes from Procurement as part of production planning to figure out the best way to print a complex document using the given materials. It also lets us build interfaces like this:
Our API documentation has some general information about how we think about articles & prices (opens new window), but in summary:
- We turn your line of product data into a triplet of Article, Variant and SKU.
- Article can be described as the "frame", which includes data like name and description, manufacturer information, finishes, etc.
- Variant generally describes the specific dimensions, colourings, grain, grammage, etc
- SKU describes the different ways you can order that product (e.g. in a pallet, by reams, etc).
- Generally our suppliers only offer a small number of articles (1-100) but each of them may have tens of variants, and each of those typically have 1 to 5 SKUs, so the overall article list might contain many thousands of orderable SKUs.
- Articles, Variants and SKUs have a mixture of required and optional fields. Naturally you will need to provide us with the data to complete the required fields, however the optional fields are also preferred if you can provide them - they are useful for the customer, because it gives them more ways to filter and compare articles and make better decisions, and it is more helpful for other platforms which use Procurement data. So, where possible, if there is data available for an optional field, we would like to use that also.
- Ideally each product line maps to one article, one variant and one or more SKUs, but if your SKUs are split amongst multiple lines we can handle that as well.
The following is a summary of the attributes we would need, and those we would prefer.
# Article required attributes
- base_unit (string)
The base unit in which this article is counted
[kg, m, piece, sheet, sqm]
- coated (string)
Describes the sides on which the paper is coated
[none, one side, both sides]
- kind (string)
Type of the printable substrate
[carton, cloth, foil, metal, paper, plastic, wood]
- name (string)
The marketing name of the article
# Article optional attributes
- manufacturer (string)
- finish (string)
Surface finish of the substrate
# Variant required attributes
- dimension_unit (string)
The unit used for the following width, height and length dimensions of the SKU.
[mm, m, in, ft]
- height (integer)
The height of the substrate in millimeter (metric), with changes of the direction of
rotation do not replace (!) with the substrate's width
- paper_weight (integer)
Paper weight of the substrate specified as grams per square meter (gsm) or lb (basis weight)
- paper_weight_unit (string)
The unit in which the paper weight is defined
[gsm, basis weight]
- width (integer)
The width of the substrate in millimeter (metric), with changes of the direction of
rotation do not replace (!) with the substrate's height
# Variant optional attributes
- brightness (integer) The brightness of the substrate as a percentage between 0 and 100 Example: 70
- category (string)
A standard paper grading, one of:
'PS1 - Premium Coated' 'PS2 - Improved Coated' 'PS3 - Standard Coated Glossy' 'PS4 - Standard Coated Matte' 'PS5 - Wood-free Uncoated' 'PS6 - Super Calendered' 'PS7 - Improved Uncoated' 'PS8 - Standard Uncoated'
- color (string)
- form (string)
[envelope, piece, roll, sheet]
- grain (string)
Grain of the substrate. Please note that we validate width and height dimensions
depending on grain: long grain:
width <= heightand short grain:
width >= heightOne of:
- global_trade_item_number (string)
Global Trade Item Numbers (also known as GTINs) are numbers used to uniquely identify a
product. Valid GTINs include EANs (International Article Numbers) and Universal Product
Codes (UPCs), and these numbers are usually encoded into barcodes on products. Zaikio
supports 8, 12, 13 and 14-digit variants of this number, wrapped in a string.
- roughness (integer) The roughness of the substrate in mL/min
- thickness (integer)
Thickness of the substrate in micrometer (metric)
- transparency (integer) The transparency of the substrate as a percentage (0..100)
- whiteness (integer) The whiteness of the substrate as a percentage (0..100)
# SKU required attributes
- amount (integer) The amount of units that are identified by this SKU (see: unit)
- amount_in_base_unit (integer)
The amount of units in the base unit of the variant. For example, an amount of
palletunit might be an
amount_in_base_unitof 100,000 when there are 100,000 sheets on the pallet and sheet is the base unit of the variant.
- dimension_unit (string) The unit used for the following width, height and length dimensions of the SKU. Dimensions are the gross dimensions of the SKU including packaging or pallet One of: [mm, m, in, ft]
- gross_weight (decimal)
The gross weight of the SKU in
weight_unit, including packaging or pallet
- height (decimal) Gross height of this SKU including packaging or pallet
- length (decimal) Gross length of this SKU including packaging or pallet
- net_weight (decimal) Net weight of the SKU excluding packaging or pallet
- order_number (string) The identifier you'd like us to send to you when a customer orders this SKU
- unit (string)
[kg, m, pallet, piece, sheet, sqm, twin-pallet]
- width (decimal) Gross width of the SKU including packaging or pallet
- weight_unit (string)
Units used for the gross weight of the SKU including packaging or pallet
[g, kg, oz, lb]
# SKU optional attributes
- availability_in_days (integer) The number of days after which this SKU is usually shippable
- environmental_certification (string)
Can be null, we support:
[FSC, FSC Mix, FSC Recycled, PEFC]